Friday, November 16, 2012

Thanksgiving in ALL Circumstances


     This is my first attempt at a blog.  Many principals across the nation have preceded me in this endeavor, so I thought I would try it.  I want it to be a way of sharing reflections on things your children may be involved in or influenced by and hopefully, a way of provoking deeper thoughts.

     I have decided on a simple topic for this first blog that is quite appropriate during these final weeks of November:  thanksgiving.  I often examine my own depth of thanksgiving for its completeness and depth.  In St. Paul’s letter to the Thessalonians, he says:  “Give thanks in all circumstances (5:18).”  St. Paul reminds the Ephesians to “Give thanks to the Father at all times and for everything in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ.” (5:20)  These are tough words and demanding  directives to put into action:  to give thanks in all circumstances? for everything? at all times?

     This kind of thanksgiving is far beyond thanking God for health and the necessities of life and the fun and joys of life.  St. Paul’s charge to us is quite demanding.  It means –

when I am stressed to the limits,

            I should thank God

            when I feel struck down and that no one is on my side,

                        I should thank God

            when I am consumed by my busy-ness,

I should thank God

            when I am a victim of someone’s anger,

I should thank God

            when circumstances spoiled my much desired plans,

I should thank God

     But in the end, it works because giving thanks blesses the person who is thanked and transforms the person who gives thanks.  That’s just the way God works.

     I am reminded of a great story about legendary Alabama football coach Bear Bryant.
On the first day when the freshman players arrived, Bryant greeted them with a question:
“Have you called your parents to thank them?”  Most of the young men were puzzled by the question until Bryant said:

            “No one got to this level without the help of others.  Call your parents
            and thank them.”

     All of us have someone to thank.

     Parents of Corpus Christi Catholic School, thank you for nurturing our children and for entrusting them to us.

     In all honesty, at this point in my life, I am most grateful for the gift of children; for their innocence, their joy and their wonder.  They truly are, for me, a glimpse into the very heart of God. 

     Thank you, parents for them.

No comments:

Post a Comment